I love adding wild rice to my salads, I am now a believer in adding sweet potatoes to my salads too! Did you know that wild rice isn’t actually rice? It is actually four species of grasses forming the genus zizania and the grain which can be harvested from them.
3-4 chicken breasts, sliced into fourths
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
pinch of salt
cooked wild rice (we used 2 cups uncooked, this was too much)
1 sweet potato
2 lemons, squeezed
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Combine the ingredients for the marinade (minus the chicken) and boil on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce becomes thick. Cool for about 10 minutes and pour over the chicken pieces. Marinade for at least 1 hour (which should be the amount of time it takes to prepare the rest of the meal) or overnight.
2) Cook the wild rice.
3) Heat your oven to 375 degrees F. Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1/4″ squares. Place into a baking dish drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper, stir to coat. Bake for about 30-40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes to make sure the sweet potatoes do not burn. Once they are cooked through remove from the oven and set aside.
4) Combine all ingredients for the dressing and place in an airtight container so you can shake and combine the ingredients more easily.
5) Cook the chicken pieces in a medium-high heat skillet pouring in the marinade.
6) Once the rice/chicken are cooked, place a handful of arugula on each plate, place a scoop of rice on top of that, add a few pieces of chicken, and top with the sweet potato pieces, cashew pieces, dried cranberries and sprinkle with the lemon honey dressing.