This cake is a recipe for high altitude. To be honest I don’t know what’s different between this and a non high altitude recipe. If you are at sea level let me know! The ingredients below are for one sponge cake – I made two so that they could be layered. If you do make two make them in separate batches (you can bake both at once if you have two of the same sized pans). You could also make one cake and cut it in the middle to get two layers.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cake flour (see note below about making cake flour)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cold water
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 container strawberries
3 rhubarb stalks
small carton of heavy whipping cream
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Grease a 9″ or 10″ springform cake pan and line the bottom with a parchment paper cut to fit the pan.
3) Whisk together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, water, vanilla, and egg yolks.
4) In a separate bowl whip the egg whites until they are white and fluffy.
5) Gently fold half of the whipped egg whites into the batter, then add the other half after the first half is mixed in.
6) Pour the batter into the greased and parchment lined cake pan; bake about 35 minutes until it is golden brown.
7) Let the sponge cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then open the sides of the pan and let the cake cool completely.
8) Once the cake is cooled spread the strawberry rhubarb sauce over the top of one of the cakes. Place the second cake on top.
9) To make the whipped cream pour the carton of whipping cream into a bowl and whisk on high until soft peaks form. Pour in the vanilla (about 2 teaspoons) and sugar (to taste).
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Directions:
1) After washing the strawberries and rhubarb slice into bite sized pieces and place in a small pan and put it on medium-high heat.
2) After the strawberries and rhubarb start to “melt” a little and boil reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to let the mixture gently simmer until it resembles a sauce / jam. You can add sugar if you want as the rhubarb is a little bit tart.
cake flour ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon corn starch
cake flour directions:
1) Place the flour in a bowl removing 1 teaspoon of corn starch.
2) Add the corn starch and sift until the cake flour is light and airy.