Yummy! I had some buttermilk that I didn’t use for buttermilk pancakes, lemons that I didn’t use for lemon meringue pie, and frozen blueberries that I needed to use up. I found a job for a buttermilk lemon pie, and added my own twist as usual.
1 baked pie crust
for the custard
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons + 1 1 /2 teaspoons cornstarch
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (1/2 pint)
lemon zest from 2 lemons
roughly 6 tablespoons lemon juice from roughly 2 lemons
for the apricot blueberry sauce
2/3 cup apricot preserves
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
for the whipped cream topping
16 ounces whipping cream
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1. Stir the sugar and cornstarch.
2. Beat in the melted butter, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
3. Bake until set, about 45-55 minutes in a 325 degree oven.
4. Meanwhile. Heat the apricot preserves & blueberries over medium heat in a saucepan until the two “melt” together. Set aside until the custard pie has finished cooking.
5. Pull the cooked custard pie out of the oven, spoon the apricot / blueberry sauce over the custard and let cool.
6. Right before serving make the whipped cream topping and decoratively scoop on top. Serve chilled.