I’ve made several versions of a plum skillet, and honestly I haven’t been able to tell the difference. This one comes from Ms. Martha Stewart herself and like all of her recipes is splendidly wonderful. I tweaked her recipe and added peaches as well as plums.
servings: about 8
time: about 1 hour
4 tablespoons butter @ room temperature, plus more for the cast iron skillet
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ripe plums, sliced thinly
1 peach, sliced thinly
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly butter a cast iron pan.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients, excluding the sugar.
4. In a separate bowl beat together the butter & sugar until mixed and fluffy. Fold in the flour mixture.’
5. Pour the batter into the cast iron pan, smooth the top and plop in the plums and peaches evenly.
6. Bake in your preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.